The Annual Programme Review (often referred to as APR) process is critical to the ongoing enhancement of programmes, learning opportunities and awards made by the University that underpin the student experience. Annual Programme Review has been developed to enable a pro-active approach to annual monitoring, based on the principles of continuous reflection and aligned to the release of academic quality data across the academic year.
APR provides a framework for Subject Areas to review and formalise existing enhancement and reflective practice, and to offer a formal and coherent vehicle for the consideration of a range of existing data (including External Examiners’ reports, student feedback, enrolments, progression and completion, assessment results, degree outcomes and employability) throughout the year to drive continuous enhancement and improvement of the student experience. Annual Programme Review is also directly informed by Annual Module Review, drawing on the findings of this closely allied process among its constituent modules.
Annual Programme Review is informed by the QAA Quality Code Advice and Guidance on Monitoring and Evaluation and is managed and disseminated via the APR Hub. Most of the materials and guidance needed to complete the process can be accessed from here, however Programme Directors should familiarise themselves with the local School or Faculty arrangements, as every review should be approved by a Learning and Teaching Committee, or equivalent, prior to final submission.
It is expected that students will participate actively in APR. This has historically taken place as a part of student reps’ participation in Boards of Study, however more active involvement from reps and participants in Staff-Student Forums will also be promoted. Members of the Student Review Community trained in quality assurance can be brought in to contribute, or in an advisory capacity. For support and advice on involving students with Annual Programme Review, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Arrangements for 2020/2021
In April 2020, in response to the Covid-19 pandemic, a streamlined version of Annual Programme Review (APR) was released, designed to reduce the strain on individual programme directors whilst maintaining standards and the continuity of programme level quality assurance. This streamlined APR placed more emphasis on Module Review, with a programme level statement acting as a reflective summary.
Because of the renewed lockdown measures in the Winter of 2021, and the ongoing disruption this has caused everyone across the University it has been decided to extend this arrangement in 2021.
The streamlined APR is a minimum baseline requirement – a full APR template is available for those subject areas that wish, or are required, to produce detailed annual reports.
The advised timeline for APR in 2021 is as follows:
- Module Review TB1 and January Entry checkpoint – 15 April 2021
- Module Review TB2 – 31 July 2021
- Programme Statement (UG) – 30 September 2021
- Programme Statement (PGT) – 31 January 2022
The Purpose of Annual Programme Review:
Annual Programme Review is designed to:
- Ensure that programmes and curricula remain valid in light of revised QAA Subject Benchmarks, developments within the sector and subject area and/or recent research and practice, whilst continuing to deliver against their intended learning outcomes.
- Ensure the quality and consistency of the student experience and ensure that students are fully engaged in the design and review of all programmes of study in partnership with academic staff.
- Ensure that key University initiatives and developments are fully embedded across all programmes and reviewed as appropriate.
- Continuously reflect upon, evaluate and enhance current curricula, programmes and modules, using key management information to inform practice.
- Identify practice or innovation worthy of dissemination and draw matters of generic interest or concern to the institution.
- Ensure that appropriate action is taken to address shortcomings identified by the College/School, Institution or External Bodies.
Further guidance on the Annual Programme Review process can be found in the FAQs for this section.
How to Access APR
Annual Programme Review is distributed by individual Colleges and Schools, usually via the Director of Learning and Teaching or Quality team. Links to the relevant forms will be included in email messages circulated periodically.
The templates can also be accessed directly from this location.
- Collect Module Reviews from all of the constituent modules of the programme(s) for which you are director.
- JANUARY ENTRY – complete the checkpoint statement in the programme statement template by 15 April 2021.
- Provide a programme statement using the module reviews and data provided, as well as other qualitative sources of information.
- Ensure all actions arising from Annual Programme Review are recorded on the relevant College/School Integrated Action Plan.