The Annual Programme Review (often referred to as APR) process is critical to the ongoing enhancement of programmes, learning opportunities and awards made by the University that underpin the student experience. In 2016, the Annual Programme Review process was enhanced to reflect the structure and data used as part the Teaching Excellence Framework, ensuring that subject areas and programmes are linked to the external national and international environment.
Annual Programme Review now uses a more pro-active approach to managing programme review throughout the year, aligned to the release of key performance indicators and compliance elements. However, whilst the process is informed by data and risk analysis, it will not lose the core qualitative and reflective foundation in terms of enhancement-led quality assurance, curriculum review and development, and, at the centre, the delivery of an exceptional student experience.
The enhanced Annual Programme Review process provides a useful framework for Subject Areas to review and formalise existing enhancement and reflective practice, and to offer a formal and coherent vehicle for the consideration of a range of existing data (including External Examiners’ reports, student feedback, admissions, progression and completion, assessment results, degree outcomes and employability, throughout the year to drive continuous enhancement and improvement of the student experience.
The intention is that Annual Programme Review is a continuous monitoring and evaluation exercise with the aim of improvement and not a bureaucratic ‘tick box’ exercise which adds additional burden to academic workloads. Annual Programme Review is informed by the QAA Quality Code Advice and Guidance on Monitoring and Evaluation.
It is expected that students will participate actively in APR. This has historically taken place as a part of student reps’ participation in Boards of Study, however more active involvement from reps and participants in Staff-Student Forums will also be promoted. Members of the Student Review Community trained in Quality assurance can be brought in to contribute, or in an advisory capacity. For support and advice on involving students with Annual Programme Review, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Purpose of Annual Programme Review:
Annual Programme Review is designed to:
- Ensure that programmes and curricula remain valid in light of revised QAA Subject Benchmarks, developments within the sector and subject area and/or recent research and practice, whilst continuing to deliver against their intended learning outcomes.
- Ensure the quality and consistency of the student experience and ensure that students are fully engaged in the design and review of all programmes of study in partnership with academic staff.
- Ensure that key University initiatives and developments are fully embedded across all programmes and reviewed as appropriate.
- Continuously reflect upon, evaluate and enhance current curricula, programmes and modules, using key management information to inform practice.
- Identify practice or innovation worthy of dissemination and draw matters of generic interest or concern to the institution.
- Ensure that appropriate action is taken to address shortcomings identified by the College/School, Institution or External Bodies.
Further guidance on the Annual Programme Review process can be found in the FAQs for this section.
How to Access APR
Each College and School has a dedicated APR Sharepoint. If you are a Programme Director you should already have access. Please click on the link for your College/School below:
- Swansea University Medical School
- College of Human and Health Science
- School of Management
- College of Engineering
- Hilary Rodham Clinton School of Law
- College of Science
- College of Arts and Humanities
If you do not have access please contact email@example.com. Approval from your Director of Learning and Teaching may be required.
Each Sharepoint has a dashboards for Undergraduate and Postgraduate Taught, with review documentation, training materials and other resources held within.
Section-by-section guidance can be found here:
- Review all programmes of study for which you are Programme Director using the data provided, and other qualitative sources of information available.
- Complete relevant sections of the Annual Programme Review process at key points throughout the year using the Annual Programme Review Form.
- Ensure all actions arising from Annual Programme Review are recorded on the relevant College/School Student Experience Action Plan.